Markre de Sol: Behind the Ramparts and Dreaming

One man's quest to articulate the grunts and gurgles of modern life.

Name:
Location: Chicagrocrag, IL, Fiji

I got like, this big, big stick of gum. I chew it a little bit at a time, because I wanna savor it.

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Jay Mohr is a whiny bitch

Hey-0,

To the business: I've activated a comment function that'll require ye readers who wish to comment to type in some random letters that the screen prompts you to. This is to keep spam off of my precious blogspot. Although some of the spam comments are kind of fun.

I just finished reading Jay Mohr's "Gasping for Airtime" his autobiographical recollection of his two year stint as a Saturday Night Live writer/featured performer. I'm glad that I read the book because it offered me insight into a field that I am interested in pursuing, but the process of reading this thing was somewhat agonizing because of Mohr's terrible terrible bitchery. The whole book consists of him complaining about how he was treated without the respect that he deserved. Bear in mind that Mohr was 23 when he got the job. 23!!! Of course he's going to be treated like a rookie by the old hands on the show. To sum it up, Jay Mohr is a self-destructive little man with an ego problem that led unrealistic expectations.

That being said, upon reflection of my time in grad school I can find certain parallels between Mohr's journey and my own. I too expected instant rewards upon landing a position in grad school. This was not completely the case, and I am glad. It's important to learn the ropes and earn what you get. I have not had to work hard for most of the things that I've had in life - this was my parents' gift, but in a developmental sense it was also their mistake. One grows through pushing through the resistance of life, not by having the path cleared for him/her.

Going out into one's early twenties, after the achievements of high school and college, it's easy to forget that we're starting out at the bottom rung again. The heartening thing is that this rung is the rung. The beginning of adulthood.

Dear God, don't let me ever be like Jay Mohr. Nobody ever be like Jay Mohr.

Monkey fights octopus eye doctor.

M

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, back in the early 90's Jay Mohr starred in a short-lived sitcom called Camp Wilder. The the girl that played the sister was an actress named Meghann Haldemann. Meghann was a ballet school-comrade of mine. One day while doing my plies, Meghann walked in late to class and she was wearing this cool knit characteristic of '89. I remember thinking, "Hey, why is Meghann la - cool poncho....I want a poncho like that."

Moral of the story: The grass is always greener on the other side.

11:16 PM  
Blogger The Editor said...

So, back in the late 90s, or was it the 2000's...Jay Mohr had a short lived series called 'Action.' I loved this show- but it was too industry for the general public. Anyway, I had the chance to sit down and talk to Jay Mohr one time, and he was a really nice really well informed guy. Yes, he was short as mark implied- but in the literal sense, and not the metaphorical. Anyway, I told him I loved his old show, he offered me an autographed picture and I said no.

I then counter offered with an autographed picture of me.

To my dismay- he said yes, and now he lives on my back like a little monkey. Someone quit feeding little Jay Jay bananas!!! My back really hurts!

11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home