Markre de Sol: Behind the Ramparts and Dreaming

One man's quest to articulate the grunts and gurgles of modern life.

Name:
Location: Chicagrocrag, IL, Fiji

I got like, this big, big stick of gum. I chew it a little bit at a time, because I wanna savor it.

Monday, June 26, 2006

Rum-runners? No! Where was I...?

Cont'd...

So the audition was held in SC's Black Orchid Theater in Piper's Alley. The auditors were 30's-50's men and one younger woman. They had the 20-or-so auditionee's introduce ourselves one by one and then they divided us into teams of 3. Our first task was to do a 3 person scene based on an auditor's suggestion and play a character that was not dissimilar from ourselves. I suppose that this stipulation is to avoid having an improviser play a monkey or a snake and never get to say a word in the scene. I wound up playing some sort of wormy lab partner who was secretly sleeping with the high school quarterback's girlfriend. It was a strange scene and I would have liked to do one of my broader characters.

After all the 3 person scenes were through, we played Freeze tag. It was sort of a cluster fuck because everybody wanted to get some stage time to show the auditors their stuff. I got in 3 times once playing an average joe, once playing a british fop, and once (for one line) playing "The Pig" who has captured my imagination of late.

I was so nervous and excited for the audition, but afterwards I felt pretty depressed. They told us that they'd mail us letters in two weeks revealling our acceptance/decline (with notes on what we should work on if we failed to get in). I felt as though I didn't show them enough. I wish - ack! brb!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home